Friday, April 30, 2010

Astonishing X-Men #1: Gifted


The X-Men have never been terribly exciting to me. I enjoyed the first two films A LOT, and like the rest of the world just shook my head at the third - but outside of that I've had very little exposure to the X-Men world. And I was given another series to read of them (sorry, can't remember which) and I couldn't get through it. But this one I liked quite a bit, and I'll continue reading along with it. I don't know what the difference was. I suppose that this one felt like a slightly easier entry point for me. I mean there's still a lot of back-story that I've been looking up while reading this, but they do a pretty good job of handling the exposition.
So this is the storyline that inspired the movie mentioned above, and it's a shame that they didn't follow it a little closer 'cause it's damn fine. The issues brought up here are far more interesting than what they did in the film and I'm curious to read further into this series to see if the idea continues along, or if they just move on from it.
So I've been converted. I'm not officially an X-Men comic reader (for this series anyway...)

No comments: