Monday, April 12, 2010

Jar of Fools

Every now and then a palette cleanser is in order and this is that for sure. This is more in line with the indie comic vibe. For those unfamiliar with the comic world and just assume that it's full of mostly just superheroes and other branded series, even outside of some of the less familiar titles you've seen here in my blog, there is a whole world of comics that would be on par with 'independent film'. And I've got to be honest, I don't know a whole hell of a lot about that world - but in intrigues me quite a bit.
So now to this book. It's about a magician and a group of misfits, but more to the point it's about the hauntings of the past, moving on, etc… There are some nice little moments, some interesting thoughts rumbling about, but if I'm to be completely honest it was just… okay. It was a breezy read so I wouldn't dissuade anyone from reading it if it seems like your cup of tea, but nothing about it blew me away - and the ending was a bit half-ass. It felt disruptive in a way that it didn't need to. A down ending that wasn't honest. For the sake of it, perhaps. If you're just entering into indie comics I wouldn't recommend starting with this one. It's not the best of the best. It's just… okay.

No comments: