Friday, April 23, 2010

1337 - Touching the Void


I avoided watching this film for quite some time - for no particular reason. In general I'm not a huge documentary watcher - ironic given the mediums and styles I often work in professionally. This isn't to say I don't like documentaries, quite the contrary. I have to say that I've never seen a documentary like this one. The story of a mountain climb gone horribly wrong and how the two men overcame the odds and survived it. That doesn't ruin anything since it's narrated by them.
The photography and the re-enactments are just plain amazing - the acting alone is the strongest I've ever seen in a re-enactment documentary. I just can't imagine the conditions under which this film was shot. Amazing, really. It's easy to recommend this film because it just grabs you and keeps you wondering "how the hell did they get out of this" and the answer is nothing short of extraordinary.

No comments: