Monday, May 03, 2010

1342 - Postcards From The Edge


"I don't want life to imitate art. I was life to be art."
This is one of those films that I knew of, but never had any burning desire to watch - although I really do adore everyone involved in it. Mike Nichols is, I think, an underrated director. Meryl Streep is is phenomenal and Shirley MacLaine is heartwarming and heartwrenching all at the same time. The film is littered with great cameos ranging from Gene Hackman to Richard Dreyfus, Dennis Quaid and Annette Benning (whom I barely recognized).
There is a lot of great dialogue and scenes in this piece, none of which feel written with movie dialogue :) I'm not really sure that I got a strong sense of a character arc in the piece. Sure she's in a different state at the end than she was in the beginning, but I'm not geting of sense of what Meryl's character wanted or needed throughout the film.
Glad I finally got a chance to see this. I'd file it under a 'rainy day' category. Not the kind of film you absulotely must run out and pick up - but worth seeing if it happens to fall into your lap.

No comments: