Tuesday, May 04, 2010

Astonishing X-Men #2: Dangerous


Again, I should state clearly for the record that I'm not a huge X-Men geek, I've got limited knowledge at best based on pop culture, the movies, and a few of the comic series I've read over the years. I was given another X-Men series to read recently and I couldn't get through it - so it's a pretty big achievement to have me finishing my second trade, and promptly starting the third. What Joss appears to be doing with this series is playing "What If?" with the X-Men a little bit. The first "Gifted" posed the question, 'What if someone developed a 'cure' for the mutations?'. And this one seems to be, 'What if the Danger Room came alive?'. It's like he's testing the premise, and there's a lot of fun stuff inside of it.
The writing here is playful, and the twists and turns are sharp and well calculated. I look forward to the final two books of Joss' run.

No comments: