Monday, May 31, 2010

1353 - Pushing Daisies: season one


I love Anna Friel. I don't care to hide it. I could probably make this whole post about how much I love her and her character on this show. You just want to hug her and squeeze her - especially since her love interest can't. And what lovely, lonely things they do with that premise. A tragic love story where the lovers can never touch. Alas.
This show is unlike any on television. The production design alone sets it in a completely different zone. The clothes, hair, colors, sets, I could go on and on. And bizarrely enough the show is almost a procedural in it's plotting. Or at least a procedural with an arc and character development.
This show only got one more season, and I can't wait to see where they take it and what they do with the series. Poor Brian Fuller. I'm still waiting to see the Dead Like Me film he made to wrap up that series. Maybe we'll get a similar treatment for this. As long as Anna Friel is in it - sign me up. If you haven't seen this series yet, you don't know what you're missing. It's clever, sweet, funny, charming, the list goes on and on. My only complaint is that sometimes the CGI looks a bit cheap. Can't win 'em up.

2 comments:

Screenwriting Spinster said...

I love Pushing Daisies. I have to buy Season 2. I loved the quirkiness of the characters and the world that was created. It was so rich with colour. It made me smile all the time. GLEE makes me smile like that again. But I do wish the show got a proper send off. I first saw Anna Friel in the Can/UK co-production THE WAR BRIDE. Rent it! She is delightful. Love her too! In fact, I love that entire cast of characters/actors.

Jeremy said...

She was also in a Can film called "Niagara Motel" with Kris from my film. (which I haven't seen)
I'm enjoying GLEE thus far, but I'd say that Pushing Daisies is in a different league. Not better, just... different.