Saturday, May 22, 2010

1351 - Back to the Future


Where do I even start with this?! It's been far too long since I've revisited this film. I'm a bit ashamed actually. This is the kind of film where, if someone told me that they didn't like it, I'm not sure I'd believe them. It just wouldn't make sense. How could someone not like Back to the Future?!
In terms of pure dynamics this is practically a perfect high-concept film. A strong, unique premise, filled with wonderful characters, fleshed out by solid performances. It's a home run. I was obsessed with these films as a kid. I think I even had the novelizations of the films. I remember being so excited for when my small town Video Shop was getting Back to the Future Part II in on VHS, I called them every day for a week to remind them to hold it for me. They must have either thought it was pretty cute, or that I was goddamn annoying.
Re-watching it now to gear up to write something that's in a similar vibe to this. Get inspired by the greatness that is this film.
Not much else to say - if you haven't seen this film then I apologize for whatever's happened in your life to keep it from you, and I insist that you remedy the situation as quickly as possible!

2 comments:

Screenwriting Spinster said...

OH MY GOD! I could have written that post word for word! BTTF is still my all time favourite movie ever. Nothing has ever taken its place for 25 years. And I don't think anything ever will. The film is brilliant. SO original and well written (an oscar nod for best screenplay too!) and the blending of so many genres is seemless. Every film lover, screenwriter, film director, sci fi fan NEEDS to watch this. No matter what their age.

Jeremy said...

I don't think that I knew about the oscar nod. That's awesome.

This film is just pure magic. Lightning caught in a bottle. Mmmm.