Friday, May 21, 2010

1350 - The Office: season six


I know that Erin (Kelly 2) was introduced in season five, but she is one of the breaths of fresh air that this season so desperately needed. Now what I'm about to say, I say with love: this was the series weakest season. Now that comment is a testimony to how great the show is (when it's great). Granted, this season paid off some wonderful things, in particular with Jim & Pam - however now it feels like their story is over. Dead, really. Now they're just... that couple. There's no 'spark' to them anymore. And sometimes I find them a bit catty and... mean. Before they were playful. Now that they're all married and have a family their behavior often feels a bit juvenile. I can't believe I'm saying this, but I wouldn't be upset if their characters left Dunder-Mifflin. I love them, and the actors that play them, but they are bogging the show down just a bit.
The biggest problem that this season had was simply missed opportunities. It seemed like they were really good at setting stuff up but lousy at paying it off. Jim becoming co-manager. GREAT IDEA! And then... they didn't do a whole lot with it. And then it was over. Huh. Others they feel like they're taking their time with, which scares me into wondering if they don't have anything really great to build to anymore.
I want to make it clear that this season was still filled with great moments, I laughed A LOT, but I also found myself wanting more. It's just not as good as it's been, it's set it's own standards too high and now it's not meeting them.
They've set up a lot of interesting things for next season (which could be the last, or just the last for Michael). Let's see if they can pay them off...

No comments: