Thursday, November 04, 2010

1457 - Swing Vote


I liked the premise for this film and that's the main reason I wanted to see it - one guy gets to decide who becomes the next President of the U.S.A.? I'm in!
I expected a certain degree of campiness, a little sappy, and the film certainly has that. Luckily it's kept, more or less, to a minimum. I have to say that I would have chosen a different ending than the film has - I won't spoil it, but I think that they could have done something similar but on a much smarter and interesting level.
I don't have a hell of a lot to say about this film. It's good, but not great. It's trying to tackle a huge issue but it's really only doing it on a surface level. I was hoping it would be something a little different - it's not quite satirical, and the message is muddled. Despite his character being slightly-above someone whose child should be taken away by social services, Costner manages to make the character work on a pure entertainment level. If you dig the premise, by all means check it out, but don't expect it to blow your mind or shed any real light on the political system.

No comments: