Thursday, November 04, 2010

Sandman Vol 10: The Wake


And so it ends - although there are a bunch of spin-offs and epilouge type books - in fact I think that there is officially an eleventh book that Gaiman made years later, and perhaps I'll get around to it one day, but for now I'll take a break from Sandman - that is after I read the Death spin-off that he did (well one of them anyway). Although I'm quite eager to start The Walking Dead...
I was pleased with how this wrapped up - although if it were I, I would have put the actual wake part of the book after the individual stories - it ends so perfectly well and then there are the tangents (which are quite nice). I like the idea that this world continues on in a new direction - leaves me with a smile on my face. The art work in this book is unlike any in the volumes that preceed it. It's gorgeous and it makes it feel quite personal and a bit delicate. The art involved in Sandman has always been quite impressive and unique but this book stands on it's own in that regard.
This series often frustrated me with it's tangents, despite them being well written - but like I've said elsewhere it's probably because I loved the main story with Dream so much that any time we were away from it I just wanted to get back to it. I'll miss that character - he's wonderful. I have to give a big thanks to Mr. Scott McLaren for loaning me this series to read.
If you're a comic fan, and especially enjoy fantasy and sci-fi then it's a no brainer - you absolutely must read this series. I'm sure that I'll even pick it up one day should I find it used.

No comments: