Sunday, November 14, 2010

1462 - Confessions of a Shopaholic


Romantic comedies get a pretty bad rap - mostly because they aren't generally all that funny. They're more like extremely light dramas that are amusing.
I happen to think that Isla Fisher is pretty damn fantastic and so it didn't take much for me to want to see this. She delivers the goods - she's gorgeous, funny, smart, and charming. She's got some pretty big flaws, but we care for her, we feel bad when things don't go well for her.
I quite enjoyed this film, it's pretty smart and inventive. Sure it's pretty by-the books, it's a bit over-the-top, but it all works to it's charm. The plotting is pretty tight, and when shit hits the fan it's pretty skillfully done orchestrating all the plots to come to a head in, more or less, the same scene.
Now to my earlier point - this isn't a ball busting laugh-fest by any stretch of the imagination - however I found myself smiling the whole way through - and Emily, who has no movie-attention these days was glued to it. So for me, it's earned it's genre title. I look forward from more to Ms. Fisher - she's a gem.

2 comments:

Screenwriting Spinster said...

It was disappointing if you read the book. The movie which was Americanized lost its British charm. I wish they had kept it in England. Something was missing in the movie. I really wanted to love it, but only kind of liked it. But I've now seen it twice, and it grew on me if I choose to forget about the source material. :)

Jeremy said...

I think that it had charm out the wazoo. Regardless of the British novel, this film works for me in spades. Is the book superior? Perhaps, but I think the ultimate test is seeing if it works on it's own - and to me it did.
I've had the same feeling upon seeing films from books I love and feeling like they didn't "get it" so I can empathize.