Friday, January 13, 2012

1680 - Midnight in Paris

Emily missed this while it was in the theatres and she got it for me for Christmas so I've been excited to revisit it ever since.  Woody Allen has two types of comedic films.  The first is complete character comedy - stuff like Annie Hall, Manhattan, even the one before this You Will Meet a Tall Dark Stranger, and then he has situation (high concept) comedy like Zelig, Bullets Over Broadway, and of course this film.  And we're lucky enough that he excels at both of these - but this may very well be one of (if not) his best of the situation comedies.  The entire cast is completely wonderful here.  Owen Wilson is, in a word, adorable.  Rachel McAdams has to play the uppity cunt, but I don't think you hate her - that job is done wonderfully by Michael Sheen.  Alison Pill is really fantastic as Zelda Fitzgerald, and I could just go on and on about the rest of the supporting cast.  I'm honest enough to admit that while I get a lot of the references I'm by no means cultured enough to get them all.  What I love most about this is just Allen's decision to make a film about nostalgia and what that means to people, and I love that he explores the different aspects of it.  The idea of living in the past and realizing that everyone feels like there was a better time, it's one of his strongest themes and I think it has a lot to do with why the film is as successful as it is.  I think the films where Woody hits really universal films are the ones that strike a nerve with audiences. 
I'm deliriously excited that Woody has seen the biggest hit of his career at this point.  As if it wasn't already, I think this absolutely cements his ability to make the films he wants for the rest of his life.  And I'll enjoy them as they continue to come along!

No comments: