Saturday, January 21, 2012

1682 - Did You Hear About The Morgans?

This came to us through zip.ca because, I'm sure, of Emily.  It's been sitting there for a while and so I finally popped it in.  Here's the thing - it's by no means terrible - I think it got trashed in reviews and it flopped at the box office, but I think that's largely due to the terrible title.  Parker and Grant are both draws, so I can't imagine any other reason...
For those who don't know, it's a rom-com about a power-couple who aren't getting along due to him having diddled around who witness a murder and have to go into witness relocation and, you guessed it, re-connect in a way they never would have without it having had happened. 
It's charmingly directed by Grant's apparent director-of-choice Marc Lawrence, and the thing flows along nicely, even though we know what's going to happen (I will say that the climax is terribly written, I'm sorry - it just is - the moment of their firm reconciliation is just, well, kind of embarrassing in terms of how cliche it is - feels like it was out of a different film altogether).  Elisabeth Moss, whom I adore, is given a small role here and does everything she can with it and easily steals all her scenes. 
So I don't think this deserves the flack it got, it's a perfectly fine rom-com - it's nothing phenomenal, and light entertainment at best, but there are a hell of a lot worse out there.  What you've got here is a perfectly fine hour and a half with some very charming actors and a decent enough story.  A great rainy afternoon film.

No comments: