Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Vera's Ghost

I don't think I've ever told anyone those buy I have a secret desire to one day do a graphic novel.  I think that it's partially because I'd really love to be able to draw.  I have a great respect for people in this art form, probably because I envy it so.  I can't draw for shit, I really can't.  This is a fantasy that I will probably try and live out through my children.  Poor little buggers.
This was on a top ten list this year and rightly so.  It tells the story of an outsider teen who comes across the ghost of a girl her age who is able to seemingly fix all of her problems.  It's a very funny, clever, and heartfelt book.  Deep down it's about fitting in and how that feels, how far you'll go to do it, and if that ever matters.  It's a solid first book from Vera Brosgol and I really can't wait to see what she does next.  According to her website she'll be at the Toronto Comic Arts Festival this May, so I might try and go and meet her.  That would be lovely.
Please check this book out, it's a sweet little coming of age story with a twist.  I loved it.

No comments: