Sunday, January 22, 2012

1683 - Cedar Rapids

I've had the script for the film for a long time, back when it was on the black list, but I never got around to reading it, and decided not to when I saw that it was slated to be made.  Now I'm really curious to see what, if anything, changed during production. 
It's the story of a man from a small town insurance company getting a chance to represent his firm at a big conference.  This man has never gone anywhere, nor really experienced life to the fullest.  He's about to.  It sounds like a really simple and not terribly interesting premise, but it's a really lovely story.  Ed Helms is fantastic here, Reilly is delightful as it Anne Heche, and Isiah Whitlock Jr.  It's not so much a laugh-out-loud comedy as it is the kind that just puts a smile on your face and keeps it there the entire film (which, I think in the end, makes it a better film). 
This film never really got the wide release that it should have, but it's on netflix now, and really worth checking out, especially if you're a fan of any of the actors I mentioned above.  It's a lovely little film, and well worth your time.

No comments: