Wednesday, October 06, 2010

1437 - The Social Network


I love this poster. In fact, I'm a big fan of their entire marking campaign for this film. I think that the entire world at this point more or less knows about Facebook. It's a site designed to bring people together, but what this film about is how people are torn apart. They don't shove the irony into your face, but it's right there. The performances are riveting in their simplicity. I've loved Eisenberg in everything I've seen him in, and he's great here - not knowing anything about Zuckerberg he felt like a person and not a characature. Justin Timberlake is equally wonder and I really enjoyed everytime he came on scene. The script, by Sorkin, is fantastic. Sorkin is one of our great writers working today. But the biggest surprise to me is the restraight that directed David Fincher shows. FIncher is often a flashier director and he's got a lot of tricks in his bag, but here he just tells the story, and it's elegant in it's simplicity.
I'm really looking forward to re-visiting this film. It's a gem. Some have said that it's the Citizen Kane of our time, and we'll see if time treats it that way, but at the very least it's a damn fine film. Whether you love or loathe Facebook, this film is well worth your attention. It's not just about a website. It's about a culture. It's about us.

No comments: