Monday, October 18, 2010

1448 - Passchendaele


I'll keep this brief because I don't particularly enjoy being negative about films. And to be fair, I'm not big on war films - there are some really amazing ones out there - but there are some melodramatic pieces of shit too - and they usually follow a storyline that either demonstrates the horror of war or it glorifies it - sadly this does neither.
I appreciate that Gross was able to assmemble the cast that he did, but if I'm honest, the whole thing felt more like a made-for-TV movie to me - the acting felt more theatrical at some points than it did filmic. There's some really great stuff going on in the war stuff, so if you're into that you'll probably enjoy it. Me, not so much. I appreciate the passion and the scope though.

1 comment:

Screenwriting Spinster said...

disappointing film. The love story was boring and cliched. It should have been just a war movie. The war scenes were well shot. It's too bad. The screenplay is terrible. Dialogue is on the nose and painful to listen to because it just induces eye rolling and snickers. And I'm a Gross fan, but this film has made me rethink his choices and all the funding he keeps getting from telefilm.