Tuesday, February 01, 2011

1513 - Kids in the Hall: Death Comes to Town

I watched the first two episodes of this last winter when it originally aired, and then for some reason I never got around to watching the rest of it until now.  They were shooting this at the same time that we were shooting my feature and I remember cursing them at the time because they kept on stealing crew from our production :)  
I'm a half generation too late to have grown up loving the Kids in the Hall, and I've seen a good deal of their stuff, more of their independent stuff actually, and I've always been a fan of all of them - but together they're a special kind of magic.  It's just amazing how seamless these guys are amongst their various roles, to the point where if you're not really thinking about it you could almost not notice that the majority of the cast is made up of only five people.
For those who haven't seen it, the premise is that a murder spree starts up in a small town following the arrival of a douchebag Grim Reaper.  This show is filled to the brim with wonderfully off-coloured humour, a lot of which lies in the background and could go easily missed.  Though it comes into play later in the season, I killed myself laughing in one of the early episodes where they're in the downtown core of this quant town, and written in old style lettering on a window is inscribed "Town Abortionist".  
If you're the kind of person who likes their comedy intelligent and don't mind it being on the goofy side then this is probably right up your alley.  For those who missed the initial broadcast you can check it out on netflix.  At one point you could stream it on CBC's website, but I'm not sure that's an option anymore. 
Either way, give it a whirl and enjoy this little Canadian gem!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

What, half generation late? I'm a year older than you and I worshipped these guys growing up. My mom forbid me to watch it because whenever she walked by two men would be kissing. It's not like they did it all the time, it was just bad luck.
So I had to buy used tv, and sneak it into my room, and hide it in the closet, and watch KITH on a fuzzy CBC broadcast. Still worth it.

JP

Jeremy said...

Exactly that one year difference is the borderline to the generation :)

My mom thought that The Simpsons were the devil. I wonder what I'll stop my kid from watching...

I like the image of a child Jeff horded up in a closet watching KiTH :)