Sunday, February 20, 2011

1524 - Only

I caught Ingrid Veninger's newest film Mondra when I was in at Cinefest in Sudbury this September and it's not hard to tell that they were made by the same person (granted this one was a co-direction).  These films are very much kindred spirits.  Veninger likes films about youths coming of age and figuring themselves out a bit - which is done mostly through them walking around and talking.  Depending on the person behind the film that can be a good or a bad thing - in this case she really seems to understand this age group - how they think - how they react.  In this film she's created something quite sweet and earnest without being cheesy or condescending.  This is one of those few films that speaks in a real and honest way to a tween demographic and it's a shame that that age group probably wouldn't even seek out a film like this, nor would most grown-ups give them the merit of being able to handle it.
I think Ingrid has an interesting career ahead of herself.  I'm honored to have had my film screen in the same program as hers, and I look forward to whatever films she makes in the future and hopefully meeting her at some point. 
I suppose the easiest way to describe this would be that it's Before Sunrise, set in Parry Sound with twelve year olds.  If that sounds good, you'll dig it for sure.

No comments: