Wednesday, February 02, 2011

1514 - Taking Woodstock

I had a geography teacher who made us watch the film Woodstock over and over and over again.  I can't remember if he'd been there - I'm sure that he wanted to be if he didn't.  Either way, because of that man, I've always had at least a minor interest in this festival.  
This is an interesting film in terms of the people that have come together to be a part of it.  Ang Lee is a bit of a surprise - although if you look at the man's filmography there is no rhyme or reason to it - he's all over the map in terms of the kinds of films and subjects that he gets involved in.
There's a wonderful supporting cast here: Liev Schreiber, Paul Dano, Eugene Levy, Imelda Staunton, Emile Hirschto name a few.  I can't imagine that they got involved with the film because the script gave them an amazing role to play - they were all good, but none of them are playing career making performances - they got involved because of what the project was about.
I'm a bit neutral on this film.  I enjoyed it, but it's not something I'm going to find myself raving about as a 'must see'.  It's what it is, a small document of a person who got involved in something extraordinary.  Take that for what you will.  The one irony is that, for a film about one of the greatest musical festivals of all time, I can't say that the soundtrack particularly stood out.

No comments: