Thursday, February 10, 2011

1520 - Breaking Upwards

Another film randomly found through the beauty that is netflix.  Something makes me think that I saw the trailer at some point though.  Who knows.
So this is a dramedy about "A young New York couple intricately strategize their own break up."  They're very mature about it (at first), and they even make a list about the things that they need and compare them (to which the young guy crosses off 'see other people' when he notices that it's also not on her list.  It's a kind of like a bizarre game of Scrabble).
The film is beautifully shot, and romantically colorized.  I think I saw somewhere in their production notes that they made it for $15,000, which is no small feat, especially given the talent that they got involved in the film. 
It's quite a nice film and has a lot of funny and poignant moments.  I think my issue with the film is that while I really quite like Zoe Lister Jones and Daryl Wein - they're charming and charismatic and have good chemistry I'm not sure that I found myself rooting for them at any point.  I think I needed to see just a touch more vulnerability from them to help me connect.  That being said, this really is a little treasure of a film and if you like your relationship films then this one is work checking out for sure.  And if Wein could make something this good on such a small budget I can't wait to see when he's got an actual budget!
Breaking Upwards  Breaking Upwards: Original Motion Picture Soundtrack

No comments: