Monday, February 21, 2011

1526 - The Blind Side

 Well now, that certainly wasn't what I was expecting...
I remember seeing this trailer for this film and rolling my eyes.  How many movies do we really need about white women coming in and changing the lives of black kids?  I know that they're all based on true stories, and that it's really nice to see people doing good things.  But honestly, if it wasn't for Emily really wanting to watch this then I never would have seen it.  And I would have been wrong.
Is it about what I mentioned above - sure.  And does it tug at your heart strings - of course.  But I was pretty impressed at some of the areas that they tackled, or at least brushed the surface of.  For the most part they kept it pretty light - probably a little too much in some areas.
What I thought was most impressive here was just the writing in general.  It's not a short film by any means.  I would actually argue that it's probably longer than it needs to be - but it doesn't drag.  In fact it moves pretty well, and the obstacles keep coming and realistically at that.  That being said things are all resolved pretty simply each time they come up.
Sandra Bullock is slowly starting to become one of my favorites.  I had a mad crush on her when I first saw her in Speed, but now I respect the hell out of her.  That being said I'm surprised she got an Oscar for this film.  I don't know why, but I am.  Doesn't really feel like an Oscar-type film.  Alas.  She's got one and it represents well her body of work.
So if you're a hard nosed skeptic like me, perhaps you'll give this film the chance that I wasn't going to.  It might just catch you off guard (yes - I avoided a bad pun by not saying that it might catch your blind si--  wait!  almost did it again...).
The Blind Side  The Blind Side [Blu-ray]

No comments: