Wednesday, February 09, 2011

1519 - The Road

 I think this is the closest I've ever finished reading something and then watched it's film counter-part.  And really, it's not all that fair to the movie.  So... that being said.
I love the look.  It's pretty impressive scope to have all that devastation surrounding your actors.  Viggo and Kodi Smit-McPhee are pretty much perfect as the father and son duo.  I think that giving The Man a voice over worked well enough.  While trying not to compare this to the source material, I have to say that there was a little disconnect.  I didn't feel the desperation that I felt while reading the book.  I never really felt like these two were in grave danger of anything.  I think this is because of the tone and feel of the book - it's more intimate.  I'd be interested to talk to people who have seen the film but know nothing of the book.  Don't get me wrong - the film is pretty decent - I think that there are quite a few things that I would done a little differently, but to each their own.
It's a film that's full of wonderful performances, large and small.  There is some fantastic acting here and some really great moments.  For me, like with most adaptations, I think it captures a decent amount of the book, but I do feel like it rushed over a bunch and therefore wasn't in keeping with the spirit of the original text.
Either way, worth checking it out - although far warning - it's not exactly the feeling good film of the year :)
The Road  The Road [Blu-ray]

No comments: