Friday, February 04, 2011

New Super Mario Bros Wii

I've been a Mario fan since I first got an 8-bit nintendo when I was... um... eight... six... damn... I can't remember.  Anyway, it's a fair estimate to say that I owned more Mario games than any other combined.  So I was excited to get this new side scroller.  And damn was it fun.  In terms of a single player, there's lots of great stuff, lots of challenges, and lots of replay value with rewards for those completionists out there who like to get all the goodies.  I think that the end bosses in each round could have been more challenging.  I found the courses to be more challenging and I got through most of the bosses on the first try.  When compared to how difficult some of the bosses in Super Mario Galaxy are, this was a walk in the park. 
I played the multiplayer version a bit with Emily and it was fun - although she gets easily frustrated by games.  At any rate this is the best two-player integration I've seen in this type of game (not like I'm an expert by any means).  
A damn fine game, damn fine fun.  The only thing that surprised me is that they don't take advantage of the WiFi on the Wii and have this hook up to other plays to play multi like that.  Alas.

No comments: