Sunday, February 06, 2011

1516 - Naked in New York

I don't think I'd even heard of this film prior to seeing it on netflix, and the siren call of Mary-Louise Parker is pretty much enough to lure me into anything.  Here she co-stars with Eric Stoltz as a young ambitious couple while both of their careers take off and force them to live apart. The film doesn't tackle so much the idea of a long distance relationship as it does about choosing what's important in life, personal relationships or professional?
This film is full of a lot of really lovely little moments, my favorite being the one about where Mary-Louise Parker is self conscious from having an orgasm in front of someone for the first time.  It really is a simple lovely little touch.  I think that she's just such an interesting actress and just commands the screen.  There is an unpredictability to her and I love it.
The other aspects of the film are okay as well.  It wanders into pretentious here and there, and then on the other hand it's trying very hard to be like a Woody Allen romantic comedy film, but tries too hard at times to work that tone, abandoning it''s own.
A decent film - hard to find I imagine.  It's ending, despite being set up quite well thematically, is still completely unsatisfying to me and probably the weakest thing about the film.  That being said one might be interested in it regardless, and if that's you - by all means - dig right in!
Naked in New York  Naked in New York

No comments: