Sunday, February 20, 2011

1525 - Party Girl

 When I first started learning more about independent cinema back in high school this film was mentioned several times however I never got a chance to see it.  Years ago I found a VHS of it in a random used video store place but by the time I got around to watching it I'd found that the tape didn't work and I couldn't recall where I'd gotten it.  Needless to say, I've been meaning to watch this for a long ass time.
The story is pretty by the numbers - it's about a party girl who grows the hell up.  And that party girl in question is played wonderfully by Parker Posey.  I know that there are people out there that dislike her for her voice - it's got a nasel thing going on - it's never bothered me.  The film itself is by no means perfect however through her charm Parker Posey makes it work - I care about her character and I want to spend time with her.  She's charming, funny, and pretty damn beautiful here.  It's no surprise that this is one of those films that helped launch her career.
A fun little film, but by no means is it the kind of film that you absolutely have to watch.  If you like coming-of-age tales and Posey in general, then this is probably going to be right up your alley - otherwise you might just find it a bit on the overtly-quirky side.
Party Girl 

No comments: