Wednesday, February 09, 2011

The Road

I'm a little behind the rest of the world on reading this masterwork.  I was loaned it after seeing No Country For Old Men in the theatres, and it's been sitting on my shelf ever since.  I knew it would be good, but I also knew that it was going to be heavy and so I put it off until I was in "the mood" whatever the hell that means...
While in the middle of reading this I described it to someone as "Take The Walking Dead and remove the hope".  But now I don't think that's true.  In fact, I think what this book about is hope.  Or, as McCarthy states, carrying the fire.
For those who don't know, it's about a post-apocalyptic world.  No explanation is given as to how long it's been this way, or what's happened.  We fellow a man and a boy, and that's the most they are ever described, and that's just fine.  As a father myself I found myself easily connecting to this book - profoundly so.  It broke my heart over and over, but mended it by the end (just barely).  It's the kind of book that makes you wonder how you would fare in the same situation, especially with a small child acting as your inner voice. 
I love McCarthy's simplistic writing style.  Despite the content, it's the kind of book that's a treat to read.  Pages turn effortlessly.  And it's the kind of book that you read quickly because you don't want to watch these people suffer anymore, but it's also the kind of book that you dread ending because it's so damn good, but also because... well... you know something has to happen...
This is a fantastic book and a quick read.  It's beautiful and affirming, heartbreaking, and earnest.  It's the kind of book that you just absolutely have to read.  I'm going to watch the film tonight - which should be interesting to see how they deal with the adaptation... stay tuned for that!
The Road --2007 publication

No comments: