Tuesday, February 08, 2011

1518 - About Last Night...

This was the exact kind of film I wanted to see tonight!  Over the last few days I've been fiercely jotting down notes for a new project and this couldn't have come at a better time to fuel additional inspiration.  I've heard about this film over the years, but especially when Love and Other Drugs came out since it was Zwick's return to the relationship film.
Essential it's about two people, comfortable with the single scene, trying to make a go at a relationship.  I have to say that I enjoyed Rob Lowe and Demi Moore a great deal better than I had originally expected.  The writing is superb here - not being familiar with Mamet's play I don't know how much it taken from that and how much original - but I have to say that it's no surprise that this film is up for a remake - it's as relevant today as it was when it was first made.  I don't think any long-term couple could look at this film and not see some variation of an argument they'd had or a conversation they'd gone through.  It taps into stuff primal about relationships.
If I have to be brutal I think that the film is a bit longer than it needs to be.  I couldn't tell you what I'd cut out, but despite loving the film, I couldn't help it dragging in the middle a bit.  I liked Belushi and Perkins here as well - but I found their characters (the token friends AKA 'voice of the opposition') to be a little heavy handed and expositionally on-the-nose.   Don't give me wrong, I think they're both doing the best with what they're given, I just think that they could have been rooted in something a little more real and gritty like our heroes.  
I'm glad I saw this - for those who haven't and like relationship films, this one is a keeper.  Just don't judge it based on it's soundtrack.  Now there's something that didn't age well... :)

No comments: