Thursday, December 01, 2011

1649 - Mighty Aphrodite

Today is Woody's birthday and so I'm celebrating with a little mini-fest - helps that we've got a newborn and we're kind of planted into the house.  I wanted to watch some of his films that I haven't seen in awhile.  I've got all of his films, but a good chunk of them are only on VHS, which I hadn't hooked up to my big TV since I bought it over a year ago, so this was a good enough reason.
This is the story of a man who has an adopted son that is amazing and wonders where the good genes came from, so he goes in search of his natural mother and discovers a "hooker with a heart of gold" played brilliantly by Mira Sorvino in her Oscar Winning performance.  And to boot the whole thing is narrated by a greek choir.  It's awesome.  I'm the kind of guy who always finds something to like in anything Woody does, however I can't imagine how people could trash this one - it's nice and light, but smart and ridiculously funny.  I'd never be able to do a Woody top-ten last (that would only be a quarter of his films), but this one easily ranks high amongst his pure comedies.  It's solid gold.  If you've never seen it do yourself a favor and check it out.  It's another reminder of why I need to fully update my Woody Allen collection to DVD/Bluray.

No comments: