Friday, December 23, 2011

1665 - Community: season one

I'm late to this show, clearly, but it's without a doubt one of my favourite television comedies.  The writing on this show is pretty goddamn amazing, and it features what is probably the strongest comedy ensemble cast currently on air.  Each character on this show is absolutely dynamite and no matter what the combination you put them with, pure gold comes out of it.  I could write a paragraph on each of them but I think that the surprise stand-outs are Abed (Danny Pudi) and Troy (Donald Glover).  And I'd by lying if I didn't admit to having a massive crush on both Gillian Jacobs and Alison Brie.  And it's not just because they are both extremely beautiful ladies, but more so because their comic timing is absolutely impeccable.  Both stand-out stars in every regard.
One of the running things I love about this show is it's use of vintage pop-culture, but also it's style of comedy - it's extremely self-aware, more so than any show I've ever seen.  As the show went on they got more free-form with the style and starting importing other genres in to play around with - it looks like they get even crazier with that as the show continues on. 
I'm really looking forward to catching up with the rest of this series.  That is the one benefit to coming to a show late is that you can really indulge in a pile of greatness as opposed to having to wait week after week.
If you love good solid comedy there might not be a better series than this for it.

No comments: