Saturday, July 03, 2010

1363 - Toy Story 3


There is literally no other place that makes films like Pixar. And I'm not just talking about the quality, but in the process in which these films are crafted. I can't imagine what a life altering opportunity it would be to work with and learn from these people.
There is so much I want to write here but I don't want to give anything away. One thing that I found surprising is that I think this is far more suited to adults than children. My wife mentioned that she thinks it's a little too dark, and I think she's probably right. Sensitive kids will probably get pretty upset with some of the happenings here. But for me, I loved the shit out of this film. With the exception of one little logic question I had, it's pretty much a flawless film. I laughed often and out loud and I cried. Big time. In fact, I probably stopped myself from crying a lot more. I'm man enough to admit it, this film got to me in a really good way.
This film puts a stamp on this series as one of the best trilogies of all time - I can't imagine how they'd follow this one up, or why they would need to. It feels like a pretty perfect note for it to actually go out on. I look forward to picking up the series (I only have the original on VHS) and showing them to my son when he's old enough.
Love it.
Oh. Um. We saw it in 3D and I really didn't get the "big-whoop". So, if it costs more to see it that way, I don't know if it's worth it. But see it in any way that you can!

6 comments:

Screenwriting Spinster said...

What's your one little logic question?


I really felt and "believed" the toys were in real danger and that some of them could and would die.


And you're right about Pixar. Their creative process needs to be adapted by all film companies. All!

Jeremy said...

I believed in the danger too - it was great, when they all hold each others hands as they approach the fire. Brilliant.

My logic problem was with the idea of resetting Buzz. It's a really fun idea in terms of doing something cool and funny, but it makes you question the rules of the world. I mean, Buzz is part mechanical, but we've never seen an instance where the mechanics had anything to do with his 'life'. Because the majority of the toys in this world don't operate on batteries it's assumed that they're just alive. So using the switch on Buzz felt weird to me. It just made me question it's ability to work I suppose. It didn't ruin the film for me - but it took me out of it. I'm sure that Pixar has a good explanation for it, but it made me stop and say, "hey.... wait a minute...."

Screenwriting Spinster said...

I always thought Buzz had to "learn" or rather "unlearn" his life as Buzz because he was programmed, whereas the others were. So for him to even be his "own" kind of Buzz shows just how far he'd come and how he's more "real" because of it. The reset button messes with all that he's learned, sort of a glitch now. :)

Jeremy said...

How dare you give a brilliant intellectualization of it.

Blast.

Okay. Fine. It's a perfect film. Happy now! :)

Screenwriting Spinster said...

and that should be the others weren't (no grammar check)

Screenwriting Spinster said...

oh, and yes I am rather brilliant! But only on uneven days.