Saturday, July 03, 2010

1364 - The Invention of Lying


Like most geeks, I'm a fan of Gervais, in particular his series work for the BBC. And when I first heard the premise of this film it was one of those moments a lot of writers get when they get really pissed off that they didn't come up with this premise themselves. It's pretty simple, really - which makes it all that more awesome.
I had a hard time getting into this film. The tone felt... off. The narration didn't work to me and felt a tad bit like a 'fix'. I found it a bit odd that, in an addition to always telling the truth that people were suddenly unable to keep any thoughts to themselves. I realize that most of the comedy comes from that, but I'm sure there could have been a way to make it work a little more organically.
As the film went on the barrage of cameos felt like it was getting to be a bit too much and instead of relaxing into the flow of the story, I kept getting pulled out - and for the most part, they don't add much to it.
I enjoyed this film enough, but I don't quite think Gervais has quite perfected this medium just yet. But don't worry. He will. I look forward to his Cemetary Junction.
Despite any negativity above, the film is definitely worth watching, there's a lot of smart and funny things going on - the ultimate is when we realize that the beginning of lying is also the beginning of religion. Very fun stuff, Mr. Gervais. If I have to nitpick though...

*SPOILER ALERT*
Why is it that the majority of the romantic arc is spent questioning why Garner's character can't get over her shallow behaviour and admit to herself that she loves Gervais, and yet absolutely no time is spent on why Gervais loves her, besides the obvious shallow reasons. Found that to be a missed opportunity and a bit of a contradiction.
*END SPOILER*

No comments: