Tuesday, July 06, 2010

Richard Stark's Parker: The Hunter


I've never read the Stark books, but this makes me want to. Not knowing the source material, this adaptation is fucking exhilarating. You start off not sure about the character but by the end you're rooting him on as he kicks ass and takes names. I've been on a noir kick ever since the adrenaline rush that is Brubaker got me back into it. It could be my own affection for the genre, but I just can't imagine anyone who doesn't like noir a little bit, the stylized dialogue, the strong characters. Men being men, and broads being broads. I'd be very surprised if I didn't try and tackle the genre myself one day. I read somewhere that Darwyn Cooke intends to produce four of these in total - so I look forward to the second 'The Outfit' which is scheduled to come out in October. Can't wait.

No comments: