Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Revolting Youth: The Further Journals of Nick Twisp


I read the original book of this series sometime last year and just recently watched the attempt at making a film of it. I think that even trying to turn this series into a film is an exercise in failure. I think, however, that you could probably get a really good television series out of it.
I flew through this book. Like the first one, it's written in journal form. I find that I read books with shorter chapters much quicker, probably because it tricks me into reading more.
CD Payne is a master of language and also setups and payoffs, and there are some wonderfully funny ones in here. Although he leaves some things dangling, I suspect for further books, my biggest gripe is that I think some of the characters sound a little too alike. Although we are getting this tale told through a somewhat narcissistic narrator, so that could be the cause for that. Payne also does a masterful job of capturing the depraved mind of the adolescent man and it's a treat to reveal in a character who does all the things you'd like to. Years ago I got excited by writing about a boy who was good at heart, but had to do horrible things in order to 'do the right thing'. Having read these two books I can't imagine there is any need. I think there are two or three more books left in this series. I look forward to checking them out.

No comments: