Wednesday, July 07, 2010

1366 - The Hurt Locker


I missed this in the theatres, and I can only imagine how much if a richer experience it is on the big screen. This is a film that puts you right in it. Where Bigelow puts her cameras, the intensity that she brings in. This is a film about adrenaline and addiction to it, to the pressure - and she makes you feel that consistently throughout the film. It's draining in a really good way. Each sequence builds onto the last. It feels personal and yet detached. Surreal and yet hyperreal. It's the Platoon of our generation and I'm ashamed to say I wasn't aware of Bigelow until this film. I'm very curious to check out her commentary on this at some point.
I'm not a guy who digs on war films, but this is something worth checking out. It's intense, and sad, and heart breaking.

No comments: