Saturday, July 17, 2010

1372 - All The Real Girls


This is probably one of the most uniquely honest films about young love, about the idea of thinking that someone else can save you, putting that kind of responsibility onto them. It's not fair. The only person that can save yourself, in a relationship or not, is yourself. Zooey was amazing here. I went from falling in absolute love with her, to her making me feel ill, to coming back around to her again - and I was convinced that there was no way in hell that I was going to come back to adoring her. But she pulled it off in spades. I've had this relationship, and some of it is eerily familiar. So kudos for making me feel like I was in this.

It's simply shot, and it feels real. Paul Schneider is a force here as a womanizer who wants to be a better person, and who desperately needs to get a taste of his own medicine. I want to see 'George Washington' now. This film is pretty non-traditional. One could call it slow, but I just think that it takes it's time and it builds well. It's not in a rush and that's why it works the way it does. It doesn't supply easy answers and that's not the point. If you like honest, brutal love stories - this one is probably right up your alley.

No comments: