Monday, July 19, 2010

The Sandman Vol 7: Brief Lives


Definitely a return to form. This book has a tone unlike any other. It has moments that are wonderfully morbid, and then suddenly we're thrust with something so comically mundane. Gaiman is a master of floating around tone and make something uniquely his own. And watching Dream go on a road trip with Delirium (sadly, formerly Delight) is one of this series' high points. The quest is to look for one of the Endless (Destruction) who abandoned the family some three hundred years ago. And it signals, I believe, the beginning to the end of this series in a way. At the very least it sets in motion the idea that the Endless may not just be as important in the scheme of things that they've always been lead to believe. I'll be taking a break from this series to enjoy the final Scott Pilgim (party tonight!!!) but then I think I'm going to try and finish the series before my trip to the UK (in which I think I'm going to try and read The Walking Dead finally...).
Gaiman says that you can read these books in any order, and I'm sure that he's right, but I think if you can swing it, read them in order.

No comments: