Thursday, July 08, 2010

1368 - Please Give


Finally I renewed my membership at The Fox down in the Beaches. There's a handful of other films I want to see this month so it was completely worth it. For a kid who grew up in a small town and had to drive at least forty minutes to see a regular movie, and up to several hours to see anything independent or foreign I love that I now live within walking distance of a place like The Fox.
So, to the movie. I love Nicole Holofcener. I recently had to submit something with a list of influences and she was one of them. She has this amazing skill of capturing people and creating natural scenes that create this wonderful organic performances - of which the film is filled with. Oliver Platt is wonderful, as always. Catherine Keener appears to be Holofcener's version of the every woman and is the most consistent thing about her films. I can't complain. Never seen a Keener performance I didn't like. Ann Morgan Guilbert steals every scene she's in as the cratchety grandmother, but the person who surprised me the most was Amanda Peet. I've liked Peet for a long time, but I really was amazed by this performance - part of it is the writing for sure. I mean, I know this character and this person - right down to the over use of lipgloss and the fake tan. I think she pulled her off lovely and made her real as well.
I don't think this got a huge release, which is a shame. But it's the perfect film to snuggle up and watch at home. Please check it out of you get a chance!

No comments: