Thursday, July 08, 2010

Scott Pilgrim's Precious Little Life


I still remember the first time I read this first book. I think I just sat there in awe as the pages just flew by. And then I quickly read the rest (book four had just come out at that point). So I wasn't first on the scene when Pilgrim arrived, but I was a passionate middle-grounder. This book is just full of stuff for geeks, but above that, it's full of great characters, they all feel really and fleshed out. The comic timing and pacing is really something to marvel at. And one of my favourite things about it is that it makes no bones about taking place in Toronto, and that's inspirational. I know a lot of writers in this city, and they often set their stories in American cities. And that makes me sad. But I won't get into that because that is a HUGE rant from me that really has more to do with the state of our film industry more than anything else.
Another thing that I love about this book, and the series as a whole, is how it makes me want to be part of their world, which is a big plus for the book given that Scott is often destitute.
I'm re-reading this series to gear up for Scott Pilgrim's Finest Hour, the sixth and final book. I forgot how quickly these can be read. But what I loved about this reading of it is I really started to look for things, for clues to things that, still haven't been revealed. There's an interesting thing that happens to Ramona at the end of this book when Gideon's name is mentioned that makes me excited to see how it all goes down. I have a hunch how this series is going to end - and knowing that the film is apparently supposed to have a different ending, I can't imagine either the comic or the film to not have the ending in my head. I kind of hope it doesn't.
I'm really glad I decided to re-read these. They're really really great. Pick it up, and not just because the film is on it's way - pick it up because it's awesome.

No comments: