Friday, June 03, 2011

1573 - Thor

This was a film that I was only half thinking of going to see, so when a friend suggested that we see it I didn't put up too much of a fight.  Besides, this is the kind of film that you really want to see on a big screen (Bridesmaids, the film I wanted to check out, arguably, works just as well on a small screen).
So for those who don't know Marvel has been doing a pretty cool job of laying the ground work for a series of films all leading up to The Avengers, and this film is no exception.  It has a simply stunning cast.  (I had no idea that was Idris Elba until the end credits!  Nor that it was Colm Feore under all that Frost Giant make-up!)  Chris Hemsworth is really excellent here.  I find myself falling a little out of love with Kat Dennings these days, and far more in love with Natalie Portman. 
The best thing about this film is that it's a fun ride - and it's got a wicked sense of humor.  It spends the first act taking the character seriously inside of his world, and then throws it all on his head when he gets to ours.  I won't ruin any of the comic greatness - you'll just have to check it out yourself.
Hiring Kenneth Branagh to direct this film was an inspired and interesting choice.  As a man who knows his classic theatre, with the Norse Gods involved I have to say that I'm sure he found the themes and storyline compelling, but knew how to weave them and not take the film itself too seriously.  Lots of great stakes and character turns - great fun for the entire family.
So for a guy who didn't really care about seeing this film at all, I'm walking out with a decent recommend.  And it's under two hours, which is impressive since most companies think that epic and long belong in films like this just for the sake of it.  I could go on about it's many virtues, but I'm tired.  Ready for bed.  So if you haven't already, and are the least bit interested - give it a shot while it's still in theatres.

No comments: