Friday, June 03, 2011

The Playboy

I couldn't find this anywhere in the city (full disclosure, I didn't look THAT hard) but was able to get it through ebay, and after having quickly consumed Chester Brown's other stuff I was excited to read it, especially knowing that it was another autobiographical work.  This one actually overlaps with I Never Like You, the two acting almost as companion pieces to one another. 
While I liked it, I think it was my least favorite of his books so far.  Dealing mostly with the struggles of a young boy coming into his sexuality, it's very matter of fact, and like his other books, doesn't really try to build to any grand conclusions so much as it is just telling things the way that they are.  I have it on good authority that a new edition (re-release) is scheduled so if you can wait that long it'll probably be a bit easier to track down.
The Playboy

No comments: