Tuesday, June 07, 2011

The Hunter: a Parker novel

As I mentioned I'm on a big Richard Stark kick - partially for research and partially for guilty pleasure.  Parker has to be one of the most hard-ass characters ever written.  He's not a nice person, but I'll be damned if you don't want to stick around to see what he'll do next.
In this, his debut novel, Parker has been shot and left for dead... but the problem is that he didn't die.  And he wants what was stolen from him, back.  With nerves of steel Parker goes after the most powerful crime organization in the country - it's hard to mess with a guy with nothing to lose.
For those who love a good crime novel, this one is right up there.  I look forward to the rest of the series.  The writing is just a lot of fun, and clever with playful lines like:
"You want an Outfit man named Resnick," she said.  "If I know you, you want him for something he won't like."
"I'm going to kill him," Parker said.
She smiled, nodding.  "There," she said.  "That's something he won't like."
This book has been adapted into several different mediums and projects by several different people and that's just a testiment to what a great story it is, how rich in character, dialogue, and technique.  If you like crime fiction at all, I can't imagine you wouldn't like this.
The Hunter: A Parker Novel (Parker Novels)

No comments: