Tuesday, June 21, 2011

1583 - Nurse Jackie: season three

So, being that this is the third season of this series I think it's safe to say that this blog will include some spoilers.  In fact I'll declare it up front - if you haven't watched the season finale of this season and don't want to ruin anything - stop reading..... now.

Okay.  Back to business.  I absolutely loved the first season of this show, the second as well.  I don't know what the hell happened to me while watching the third season but all of a sudden I realized "This is a group of horrible people.  I don't enjoy spending time with them" with the exception of Zoey (LOVE Zoey) and Dr. O'Hara.  The biggest problem is that Jackie is given almost absolutely zero consequences for her actions.  They dangled the carrot over us in this finale but then, FOR NO FUCKING REASON, her drug filled urine is thrown out.  WTF.  Talk about taking the wind out of the sails.  And yes, you can argue that Jackie's marriage breaking down is a something, but it's not a consequence.  When Kevin announces that he's cheated (nice touch) Jackie could have easily cleaned the slate and let it all out - instead she got what she wanted:  freedom.
I'm curious what will happen with the next season and so I'll tune in.  Clearly they've only hit the tip of the iceberg with Kelly and, although I hate the character, I'm curious what's next for Coop now that he's been embarrassed in such a major way.
So if anyone from Showtime is watching - take a cue from some other great series out there - fuck some shit up some more and make your characters accountable for their actions.  Your audience deserves it.
Nurse Jackie: Season Three

No comments: