Friday, September 03, 2010

1389 - Jennifer's Body


I read this script back when it was floating around on the Black List a few years back, and I really really liked it. It had this great 'Heathers' vibe to it, and with Juno in my mind I could kind of visual this. Unfortunately the director, Karyn Kusama didn't have the same vision I had. In fact, I'm kind of puzzled as to what her vision was. The script I read wasn't a whole lot different from this finished film (save that random make-out scene between the two girls that ends as bizarrely as it began), however the execution of the script, which is essential in this type of film, felt rather lacking.
For a horror-comedy it's not really played for laughs or scares, sadly. The satire is there and it's clever. Like I said, I liked the script, the ideas, the story, but they all fell flat. There are a lot of clever ideas in this film, but they aren't harnessed properly or something. Judging by a quick glance at other reviews it would appear that I'm not in the minority as to how I feel about this. I really wanted to love this film. Alas, it was not to be. In fact, I'm kind of finding a hard time thinking about how I could/would recommend it to others. If you're dying to see this film, knock yourself out. Maybe you'll present an argument for it that I just have over looked. So for what it is, it's fine. However, for what it could have been... I don't know.

No comments: