Thursday, September 09, 2010

1397 - I'm Still Here


So I guess today was my Affleck brother double feature. This film was directed by Ben's brother Casey whom you probably well know is a fantastic actor in his own right.
Most people have some kind of knowledge that Joaquin Phoenix retired from acting for a hip-hop career and has been getting his ass handed to him ever since. The first question you're going to ask is - was it all a hoax? I don't know. The film isn't about that - it plays it straight. Inside the TIFF guide it says something to the liking of "this film doesn't provide the answers to what's going on with Phoenix, mostly because it's still going on". And that's true. And it's fine. In truth, it doesn't matter if it's a hoax, because whether it is or not this is the biggest career suicide I have ever seen. It's amazing in that regard. The film feels like it's real and authentic, probably because Phoenix is so goddamn candid, you can't imagine that someone would want to come off as this much of a douche bag unless they actually were. This is an examination of one of the most self-inflated-ego-centric people I've ever witnessed. Someone who believes that because they're famous, and that they want to change career paths that people should automatically embrace them in their new path, regardless or not if they're any good at it. Sean Combs appears in the film and he's fantastic, whether he's playing along, or this is the real him - he's great. I can't imagine that this film isn't intended to be a bit comedic. There are moments that are just downright hysteric where you can't believe what you're seeing, including a moment which I'm sure everyone else will ruin, but I won't, where one of his assistants gets back at him for treating him like shit.
In truth I've never cared much for Joaquin Phoenix as an actor. I didn't not like him, but him being in a film was never a draw for me either. But as a character study of a man on a collision course with himself, he's ridiculously entertaining. I'm sure that we're going to see a lot more of him now that this film is coming out, but I can't imagine him having a career after this. If he does, awesome, but it'll be interesting to see, in ten years, if he's still here...

4 comments:

Screenwriting Spinster said...

It feels like pretentious crap to me. I don't want to give it my money.

Jeremy said...

Believe it or not, I didn't find it pretentious at all.

Screenwriting Spinster said...

http://blogs.suntimes.com/ebert/2010/09/im_still_not_all_here.html

Jeremy said...

Yeah, I saw that earlier. Not surprising - there are two or three moments in the film that feel a little too... perfect. I'm glad that my first viewing of it was when it wasn't known. It's still a pretty ballsy stunt given some of the content. I still think it's career suicide.