Tuesday, September 14, 2010

1404 - Barney's Version


This is probably the most Hollywood looking Canadian film I've ever seen. The production value, cast, everything is really quite impressive and makes me hopeful for the future of films in our country. I haven't read the book, but I can only imagine that there was far more great material than they had time here. I quite enjoyed this. It's a longer film, and rarely did I feel that. It's chock full of amazing performances all around including one by a Canadian actress that I think is quite damn great, Rachelle Lefevre. Dustin Hoffman reminds me of my own father, and that always makes me smile. Minnie Driver is just really quite fantastic.
When Paul Giamatti first came out of the woodwork I thought he was the next best thing, and then he just was kind of... there. He wasn't playing all the keys on his piano. This performance however shows just how many octaves he's got. It's a great performance in a really solid film. It makes me want to go back and read the book. Highly recommend this one.

1 comment:

Screenwriting Spinster said...

I shall see this one for sure! The trailers looks great. And I want to have Rachel's hair!!