Saturday, September 11, 2010

1402 - Everything Must Go


Just one movie today, then I'm talking the rest of the weekend to hang out with the family before I dive back into it hard on Monday. I like Will Ferrell. I like him most when he's playing an actual person and not an over-the-top-man-child. Not to say that those films aren't enjoyable, I'm just stating my preference for how I like my Ferrell.
I don't know the short story on which this is based, but I can only imagine that it's heavily adapted. I believe that this script was on the imfamous black-list some years ago, but I'd never read it. (just checked, I have it on my computer... huh... maybe I'll give it a gander at some point....) So this is a film about a man on his way to hitting rock bottom, and the set-up is pretty great. There is a nice blend of funny, sad, and a little pathetic, and Will carries it all well. I was a little disappointed that later on it didn't seem to escalate futher, and if I'm honest I would have like to seen the actual rock bottom be a little rockier. That being said, this film has some really lovely moments and even lovlier performances. Laura Dern is a gem, and Rebecca Hall continues to shine as she moves up the movie ladder. It will absolutely hit theatres at some point - it's not the Will Ferrell that most people expect, but it's not something that's going to piss off his man-child fans either.

No comments: