Friday, September 24, 2010

Film Fest Tour: Day 3

8:43am I realized that the beds in the hotel have these machine things that let you make the bed harder or softer - so I had a much better sleep and actually slept in a little. Huzzah! I was able to deal with some e-mail, and now I'm going to try and get a little work done before Christine and I meet up to have breakfast. Then we want to do the big nickel, although it's supposed to piss down rain all day, which means it's a good day for everyone to go the movies!

3:57pm Just got back from the screening. I kind of felt like I needed a chance to chill out a little bit after the screening. Usually I'm just go-go-go, but a little "me" time was in order. The screening went pretty damn great. I have to say that I was a little surprised that we didn't have as many people as I've come accustomed to seeing at this festival, but whatever we lacked in numbers we made up for in enthusiasm. Lots of laughter, sighs, and general reactions. The Q&A after was the first I'd done for this film and I felt more comfortable than I thought I was. Most of the crowd stuck around and we covered quite a bit of stuff. What was really nice was that after a lot of the people who didn't stick around for the Q&A found me in the lobby and came up to me singing their praises for the film, and saying that they can't believe that the house wasn't packed and that people missed out on a great film. So it was pretty damn rewarding. Numbers are always good, but a quality audience is far more important - and with a small film like ours it's important to manage your expectations. I consider it a win. Afterwards Rayne, the producer of Le Divan du Monde, and I spent the ride back to the hotel singing each others praises. I'm looking forward to getting to know her and her partner Dom. Resting. Might check out some shops. I have a friend whose in town with a short, so hopefully I'll see her later.

6:23pm Treated myself to an awesome dinner at the hotel bar. Mmmmm.

11:38pm The rest of today was more or less uneventful. Went and saw Howl, and then to another party. Starting to feel a bit burnt out and luckily Christine had the good sense to head back to the hotel which made me follow closely after. Gotta check out by 8am to catch our flight. Much excitement to follow! I will say though, any filmmaker considering coming to Sudbury - DO IT. Goddamn this is an awesome festival. The staff is amazing and lovely, and treats you like royalty, and the audiences are just hungry for film. It's a great festival for filmmakers. Do not hesitate to submit your films here!

No comments: