Monday, September 27, 2010

1430 - Frozen


This film made me break my all-Canadian-streak at EIFF. I had planned to see The Pharmacist, but it's a locally made film and therefore packed. This film is part of a tradition of morally questionable people doing stupid things, and then paying for them, often, with their lives. So knowing that, the challenge of the film is how do you be creative within your premise and locked in location. This is Open Water in a chairlift at a ski resort. And for my money, I can think of a ton of different ways they could have gotten out of it, but I think they exploited the premise in terms of being a thriller pretty darn well. The film offers some solid comic relief when it's needed most, and it's tense. It's a hard film to watch - its not gory, in fact it's very tastefully done in that regard. In fact, for what it is, it's pretty skillfully done. Not the kind of film you ever need to watch more than once (although I could be convinced to check out the commentary), for fans of films of this kind of premise, you'll get a kick out of it.

No comments: