Tuesday, September 14, 2010

1407 - Rabbit Hole


This was my first film of the day, and to be honest, I was tired, cranky, and needed a coffee desperately, and got to the theatre too late to be able to grab one. So I was primed to let a film piss me off.
This is the best film I have seen at the festival, and probably this year. I've always liked John Cameron Mitchell, and he's done a bit of a turn here from his usual fare. Kidman and Eckhardt are at their career best and if they don't get nominated for this film then I'll be amazed. Diane Weist also gives a nomination worthy supporting performance.
The film is simple, it's about a couple dealing with the grief of losing their only child, a four year old boy. But the film never asks us to pity them, it's never melodramatic, it's full of life, love, humor, and real pain. There is a scene in the middle of the film that is so wonderfully intense that I could myself crying uncontrollably in the theatre. I'm not talking little tears in the corner of my eyes. I embarassed myself with how I was carrying on. That's how much this film kicked my ass. I don't think I've ever been that affected by a scene in a film. No doubt, in part, because I've got a little guy myself.
So, it goes without saying, that I strongly recommend this film. It deserves as much attention as it can possibly get.

1 comment:

Screenwriting Spinster said...

i am definitely seeing this film. Ever since I heard about it on the Tony awards years ago, I've wanted to see it. I am hoping that Toronto also does a stage production of it as well.

p.s. Love Hedwig and the angry inch!